i am a self-diagnosed pasta addict. it’s true. rotini, spaghetti and penne, oh my!
so, while skimming through one of my favorite cookbooks (thanks, best sister ever!), my page flipping fingers naturally came to a halt when i saw this recipe.
it’s all sorts of green and gorgeous, plus it fills your kitchen with a beautiful, fresh aroma perfect for summer. bonus!
Fusilli with Spicy Pesto
what you’ll need:
for the pesto:
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and chopped
2 cups grated Asiago cheese
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 ounces baby spinach
3 ounces arugula
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
for the pasta
1 pound fusilli pasta
4 ounces Asiago cheese, shaved
what you’ll do:
1. in a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic, jalapeno, cheese, salt and pepper.
2. process until the mixture is smooth.
3. add the spinach and arugula and process until blended.
4. with the machine running, gradually add the olive oil.
5. cook the pasta until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
6. drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water. (do not skip this step!)
7. place the cooked pasta and pesto in a large serving bowl.
8. toss well and thin out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed. (you will need, trust.)
9. garnish with Asiago cheese shavings and serve.
i hope you like… no, i hope you love!
recipe adapted from: Giada De Laurentiis “Giada at Home”.
pics are from: moi!